Most sports injuries emerge hip, knee and ankle problems. What is a meniscus tear? What is the treatment of meniscus tears? How arthroscopy is helpful to cure it?
Today, working out in order to lose healthy life and weight, stay fit and feel more dynamic has become a lifestyle.
With the increase in interest in sports, there is also an increase in injuries seen in gyms or outdoors after sports such as running, cycling and swimming.
Experts noted that the rate of sports injuries has increased and gave information about new developments, especially in hip, knee and ankle problems.
Meniscus tear is most seen in the athletics
With the relationship between sports and health more known, people exercise more to live healthily, experts say, but they also note the importance of conscious sports.
Because injuries occur when there is no conscious sport. Some injuries greatly reduce the quality of life and can even prevent the person or athlete from playing sports.
Stressing that sports injuries are common in society, as is often seen in under-mobile, obese people, experts note that contrary to popular belief, they are more common in people who live weak, athletic and active lives.
If the problem is in the knee joint…
One of the most common problems in the knee is meniscus wear or tearing. The meniscus is an elastic tissue that carries a load between two bones in the knee. Therefore, it is very prone to wear and tearing.
Noting that meniscus is known as “sports disease” in society, Orthopedics and Traumatologists say that there are two types of tears in the meniscus and that treatment has changed accordingly:
“Even if it doesn’t work out in sports or in people who are younger and have high activity, it can tear directly. The second type is slow-developing tears due to wear on the meniscus tissue at older ages and even if the load is small. While surgery is required in most meniscus tears in young patients, non-surgical treatments are applied primarily in elderly patients.”
The results with arthroscopy are very good
In the treatment of meniscus tears, special evaluations are given to each patient, the experts said, adding that the expectation of athletes returning to sports life as soon as possible leads to different treatment.
“The meniscus needs to be protected, the tears are being erected as much as possible. There’s an 80 percent chance that the general lacerations are healing. However, 15-20 percent may not recover and the torn part may need to be removed with a second surgery.
Meniscus surgery is performed today by arthroscopy (closed method). Arthroscopy can reach difficult and narrow places in the knee joint with a special camera through two or three holes, it is possible to remove or sew only damaged tissue and very good results are obtained.”
Sporty movements force the hip joint
Orthopedics and Traumatology Specialists say that excessive or inverted movements force the hip joint, and that the damage in this area is manifested by pain.
In addition to sporty movements, genetic causes or sudden reverse movements also lead to rupture of the structure called labrum, which is almost like a gasket in the hip joint.
These wears and tearing are also known as “calcification” among the public. Hip arthroscopy is preferred in surgeries performed to eliminate this condition.
Don’t forget the sporting injuries!
In this surgical method, also known as closed hip surgery; Experts say that the tear is sewn inside by entering the hip with a special camera without any open wounds, without cutting a muscle, through 2-3 holes of only 4 millimeters:
“During the operation, bone protrusions are shaved and cartilage is treated. This prevents advanced arthritis of the hip. The patient’s pain is severely reduced.
Since most patients have a closed operation, they are more sympathetic to the surgery, with a day-to-day surgery, the patient can step on it the next day and take a bath, and is discharged the day after the surgery.”
Early diagnosis is important for meniscus tear!
The biggest causes that increase calcification in the hip are early bone protrusions and tears in the hip. It is possible to operate and prevent these complaints at an early age, thus reducing the progress to hip replacement. The athlete, who was diagnosed early, can continue his sports life after the surgery.