Headache is one of the most common health problems that adversely affect daily life. However, the headache that every person feels may not be the same. Blunt, sharp, throbbing, continuous, intermittent, mild or severe headaches can be experienced. The difference of these complaints is due to the fact that the headache arises from different causes.
What are the 5 precautions you can take against headaches?
Do you know why you have a headache?
There are many types of headaches due to different causes. However, headache is generally examined under 2 main headings as primary and secondary.
Tension-type headache, cluster headache, migraine-type headache are the most common among the primary type headaches that occur without being due to another disease. Headache caused by different underlying diseases is a secondary, secondary headache type.
Headache due to allergic diseases or sinusitis, hormone headache especially seen in women during menstruation, caffeine, exertion, headache due to trauma, hypertension, brain tumor or aneurysm may be experienced.
Since there are many types of headache, a detailed history and neurological examination should be performed by first referring to the neurologist to determine the type of pain. For proper treatment, it should be determined whether the headache is a primary or secondary headache. In this distinction, imaging methods such as Computed Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance (MR) can be used.
Your lifestyle can trigger your headache
Treatment of headaches according to the cause and type also differs. Even treatments for the same type of headache may not give the same response in everyone. People who have been suffering from migraine or other primary headaches for a long time know the factors that trigger pain. Staying away from the factors that will reveal the pain learned over time is one of the measures that can be taken. In addition to the regulation of daily lifestyle;
- Regular sleep and exercise
- Pain medications in the treatment of attacks
- Preventive drugs for the prevention of pain
- Botox applications
- Local anesthetic applications
- Methods such as surgical treatment can be applied.
If it is due to a different underlying condition, the treatment of this disease can relieve pain.
Pay attention to these complaints with headaches!
Your headache can also be a harbinger of different and serious diseases:
- If you have a recent-onset headache over 65 and under 18
- If you have an explosive headache that appears suddenly
- To the pain in your head; visual impairment, weakness in the arms and legs, accompanied by complaints such as fever
- Describing the pain experienced as “the most severe pain I have ever experienced in my life”
- In case of varying severity, duration and type of pain experienced at all times, a doctor should be consulted without losing time.
Learn to cope with stress
Many headaches can be managed with preventative measures, but methods will differ according to the type of headache. Some types of headaches can be prevented with medication, while others can be caused by the same medication. Therefore, it is important to know what works for the patient. Planning in accordance with the needs and preventive treatments should be discussed with a neurologist.
In general, many headaches can be prevented or improved with some lifestyle changes:
- Getting enough sleep on a regular schedule
- Eating healthy
- Exercising regularly
- Applying methods of coping with stress
- Staying away from triggering factors
Despite all precautions, it may be useful to sleep in a ventilated, dark and quiet environment by taking appropriate painkillers in headaches. However, despite all the precautions taken, if the pain problem continues, a doctor should be consulted.